1. “We’re going to need a bigger boat.” Roy Scheider as Chief Brody, Jaws 1975
Brody is saying: “We’re not prepared for this. The shark is much bigger than we thought. We’re in over our heads. Maybe we need to rethink this.”
2. “You had me at hello.” Renee Zellweger as Dorothy, Jerry Maguire 1996
She is saying: “All you had to do is show up to prove your love. Fight for me, don’t just give up on us.”
3. “You can’t handle the truth.” Jack Nicholson as Col. Jessep, A Few Good Men 1992
Col. Jessep is telling Tom Cruise’s character that the JAG lawyer doesn’t have a clue what guys like him have to do to ensure freedom. He tells Cruise that his life is “cushy” while they (the military brass) make tough choices to save lives. In others words, “Freedom ain’t cheap and sometimes it ain’t pretty.”
4. “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” Clark Gable as Rhett Butler, Gone with the Wind 1939
I think Rhett is saying, “You, Scarlett, have manipulated me long enough, and I’m not putting up with your crap any longer. I don’t give a flying leap what happens to you, sweetheart.”
5. “They call me Mr. Tibbs.” Sidney Poitier as Virgil Tibbs, In the Heat of the Night 1997
Detective Tibbs of Philadelphia is telling the racist Mississippi police chief that where he comes from, he is treated with respect and he expects the same treatment from him.
6. “Go ahead, make my day.” Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, Sudden Impact 1983
No one deserved shooting more than Mick the Rapist, the guy getting real nervous with Callahan’s.44 Magnum pointed at his head. I think Callahan was saying, “Let’s just rid the streets of trash like you. I’d be doing everyone a favor by blowing your brains out.”
7. “I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.” Marlon Brandon as Vito Corleone, Godfather 1972
Corleone has a very persuasive technique to get his way. He can be ruthless, making it impossible for anyone to say no. If you don’t take his business offer, you might find the head of a prized racehorse in your bed. Take the deal, my friend.
8. “I’m the king of the world!” Leonardo DiCaprio as Jack Dawson, Titanic 1997
At the moment Jack makes the statement, he is standing on the bow of the grand ocean liner Titanic as though he owns the ship. He also has the adoration of a beautiful rich girl. Caught up in the moment, he spreads his arms wide and makes this declaration. No doubt he believes what he is saying.
9. “Show me the money.” Cuba Gooding as Rod Tidwell, Jerry Maguire 1996
Tidwell is telling sports agent Maguire, “Okay, if you want me as a client, then get me the big contracts, the big pay from a NFL team, and lots of sponsorships. Prove to me that you deserve to be my agent, otherwise, take a hike, Maguire.”
10. “You’re not too smart, are you? I like that in a man.” Kathleen Turner as Matty Walker, Body Heat 1981. (Warning: Spoiler Alert)
This line is not as well known, but I like it, as well as the movie. The line should be a forewarning to John Hurt’s character. Matty is no dummy. She wants her husband dead, but she doesn’t want to go to prison for murder. She finds the perfect love-struck fool to do the deed for her. All she has to do is look beautiful, act sexy, and talk seductively. Mission accomplished.
Now it’s your turn. What is your favorite movie line? Tell us in the comment box below.